A CENTURY AGO
William & Nancy Lockett arrive in vicinity. Joel Davis comes
the following year. Soon other families from Virginia and other
eastern states settle in area.
1847--Hickory Grove Christian Church
1849--Frederick Blattner sets
up a Trading Post in his nearby farm, and adds a mill for grinding
corn to accommodate his neighbors.
1856--Land transaction is completed
for a new town named "Millville" (or Mehlville) on land
owned by Joel Adison and Francis M. Davis. A Post office was established
under the name "Snowhill", and the first Postmaster was
J.P.Simpson. The town's plans also included a one-hundred foot right-of-way
for railroad tracks, and tracks were laid down for the Wabash, St.Louis
& Pacific Railroad. By this time there were many farms, ranches
and tobacco plantations surrounding Millville. Owners were chiefly
settlers from virginia who were slave holders. Mr.Raleigh built
the first house in town.
1857-Millville was officially
platted on both sides of the railroad tracks with 14 lots on the
south side, and 20 lots on the north side.
1861-Frederick Blattner builds
large stone building for a general store on the south side of the
tracks. War materials and Civil War troops were carried by rail
through Millville. On at one occasion a Union troop train was fired
upon by Confederate sympathizers.
1865--During this period Millville
was showing considerable growth. Lewis constructed the "Millville
Mills", and Harry Gray & Thomas Mason built a tobacco factory.
Another leading citizen in the community at this time was Pierre
Foristell, an immigrant from Ireland who had come into the area
in the late 1850's. He had become a large land owner, stock raiser
and tobacco grower.
Burlingame, a shoemaker, came to Millville and settled on south
edge of town. As years passed the Burlingame family became very
1871--A.E. Fordehase was appointed
1872—Dr. C. W. Pringle MD
begins practice and remains the town’s physician for 30 years.
1875--The official name of the
changed from Millville to Foristell, honoring Pierre Foristell.
Also Snowhill Post office now became Foristell Post office.
1876--E.M.Pringle buys A.E Fordehase’s
share of store business, and builds a large lumber yard. A. E. Fordehase
builds a store of his own.
these years, Henry Higginbotham was the Ticket, Freight and Express
Agent at the depot.
1879--Alexander Young, immigrant
from Ireland, sets up blacksmith and wagon making shops. Henry W.Williams
builds a small commercial hotel and drug store.
1883--Ed Pringle sells his general
store business to John Schatz (age 28) and John H.Schiermeier (age
22), and expands his grain shipping business. Pringle also becomes
Foristell's Notary Public, a post he held for many years.
1888--H.William Schmidt purchases
a 4th interest in the Blattner Store. When Blattner bowed out, the
store became "Schatz & Schmidt", then "Schemmer
& Schmidt", and finally Bill Schmidt retained full control.
It remained "Schmidt's Store" until 1943.
1889--Schatz sells his store share
to John Schiermeier & his brother Ernst. John was appointed
Postmaster, a position he held until he moved to Matson in 1894.
At the close of the century Foristell was a busy
railroad town. There were the Methodist and Christian Churches,
and the Wide Awake, Blattner, Hickory Grove and African grammar
schools were near.
• information from Craker Barrel Country,
Volumes III & IV, by J W Schiermeier.